Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No SQL Server to choose from in Login box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No SQL Server to choose from in Login box
    Posted: November 22 2006 at 4:07pm
New install of Dynamics 8.0 on a workstation in an established network installation (already have 6 other stations running Dynamics 8.0 connected to our server (which is SBS 2000 with SQL 2000)).

Before I installed Dynamics, I created a new ODBC System DSN named "SQL for Dynamics".  It connected & tested fine within the ODBC setup routine.

Then, when I started Dynamics, there was no SQL Server to choose from in the drop down dialog on the login screen - the one I created did not appear.  I could still input a username & password and it DID connect to my SQL server.  On the next dialog box where you shoose which Dynamice Company to load, it had "SQL for Dynamics" in the SERVER line, but the company I wanted to load did not appear in the Company drop down.  (We have about 5 companies - all the others appeared, but not the one I need!).

I checked the DSN connection, even finally deleted it & recreated another one, same result - no server listed, but could still get to all companies but one.

Trashed the DSN & recreated it AGAIN, this time giving it the same name as the name of our SQL server which is "CRICKET".  NOW, still no server listed in drop down box, but now it will NOT login as it did before.  When I enter a valid username & pw I get "Please select a SQL server to connect to".

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Thanks,

bugman
Sponsored Links

greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2006 at 8:46pm

I can answer part of your question.

The SERVER name on the Login Window means the name of the ODBC, not the name of SQL Server. If your SQL Server name is CRICKET and if you create an ODBC connection (DSN name: GP Server) to point to SQL Server CRICKET, then on the GP login Window you won't see CRICKET. You'll see GP Server.
bugman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 9:34am
Yep, I understand that.  I read in a post on another forum that you should name the ODBC connection the same as the name of your SQL server.  I didn't think it mattered - on other machines I have it named something like "Dynamics", or "SQL for Dynamics", and that's what I see in the drop down box on the login screen on those workstations.  In this case, I see nothing in the drop down box - it's totally blank.  It's like Dynamics somehow can't detect the ODBC connection.  But when I test the ODBC connection (in ODBC setup) it connects fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks,

bugman
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 12:49pm
Check the version of MDAC and you should maybe re-install the MDAC package. Also, does your ODBC connection work in other programs. Can you, for example, import data into an Excel spreadsheet?
Have fun!
John
greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 2:14pm
Here is the link to download latest MDAC.
iKoZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iKoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 9:42pm
if those things will not work...

also try to find out what's the difference of that certain machine to the others that is successfully running (eg. OS).

also check for the permission of the user that currently logged in in the window. there might be differences on how the ODBC DS Administrator and GP accesses the registry where both of them uses to obtain information to.
Sreekala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sreekala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2006 at 6:08am
also check if you have created a user dsn or system dsn.
greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2006 at 7:17am
Originally posted by Sreekala Sreekala wrote:

also check if you have created a user dsn or system dsn.

but user DSN should work as long as you login to Windows using that user, right ?
bugman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2006 at 7:39am
It's definitely a SYSTEM DSN.  I'll try using it in another program as suggested (I know how to import a txt file into Excel... but not sure I know how to make it use this ODBC connection specifically, but I'll poke around).

Machine has same OS as other workstations (Win XP Pro, SP2, a fresh install (just reformatted drive & loaded the OS).

I'll also try installing the latest MDAC.

User I'm logging into the machine as is both a local administrator and a domain admin.  Have tried logging into Dynamics as both me (a domain admin) and SA.

Probably won't get back to my office to try anything until Monday.

I really appreciate all the help folks - keep the ideas coming!
Thanks,

bugman
Rohtash Kapoor View Drop Down
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Moderator
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2006 at 10:29am
Originally posted by bugman bugman wrote:

It's definitely a SYSTEM DSN.  I'll try using it in another program as suggested (I know how to import a txt file into Excel... but not sure I know how to make it use this ODBC connection specifically, but I'll poke around).

Here are the step by step instructions to impor the data from SQL Server to Excel using ODBC connection.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic