Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Different ODBC name

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different ODBC name
    Posted: November 14 2006 at 1:41pm
Does it matter if the ODBC name are different in different GP workstations?
Sponsored Links

iKoZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iKoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 7:57pm
i think not as long as they point to the same GP server.

but it will be a good idea if they have the same name to avoid confusion.
Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 11:39pm

This is absolutely right...the name and description are just for identification purposes and to avoid confusion...especially if you have different sql instances to connect to. The server name makes the odbc unique.

Take care

Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
stwigg100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stwigg100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 4:48am
Password Encrytion and DSN settings:
A note of caution for Dynamics 9 and beyond, expanding on Joseph's reply. The password encryption is based on the 'Server' name in your DSN (ODBC) setup. We have had terrible problems with user passwords being refused in a site where they kept the DSN naming convention the same but some used the server IP address in the 'Server' field, others used the server's Name. If a user moves from one PC to another with different DSN server name - password is refused. This is because when it is un-encrytped using the 'Server' as the encryption key it is a totally different password. This had us baffled for quite a while I can tell you !!

Cheers
Simon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:46am
Originally posted by stwigg100 stwigg100 wrote:

Password Encrytion and DSN settings:
 server's Name. If a user moves from one PC to another with different DSN server name - password is refused.  
Cheers
Simon

I usually use the username: sa and his accompanied password in order to connect users to SQL. Why should the password change. Does every user connect to sql server using his own username and password in your company?

Take Care
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
rjavins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjavins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:36pm
I always use the same ODBC name on all workstations.  Though it may not be a big deal for Great Plains; I also take into consideration that FRx can use the same ODBC and you need to use the same ODBC name on all workstations if you plan to share the Sysdata location.

I have also found that setting up a SQL user (Microsoft GP - Professional) just for ODBC connections works well.  In most instances ODBC's are set up using the sa login; when the sa password is changed later this may cause an issue.  If a seperate SQL login is setup and used with just ODBCs then the sa password remains protected.
iKoZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iKoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 10:32pm
i don't know if there well be an issue in ODBC if you change the password (sa or the one you use to connect from ODBC).

from what i have observe, when you setup your ODBC DSN and asked for a username and password. it is only for verification/inquiry purposes that ODBC will use in the remaining configuration processes. after that, the password will not be save anywhere, as far as i know. but if the Windows OS save that somewhere (probably not in the registry), it will be a security risk.

well, that's what i think. we change already the password so many times and we haven't encountered problems yet.

i think what stwigg1000 meant is that when you configure your ODBC DSN, you can either set the ODBC Server Name to the computer name of your server or the ip address of your server. and warn us the danger of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by iKoZ iKoZ wrote:

i think what stwigg1000 meant is that when you configure your ODBC DSN, you can either set the ODBC Server Name to the computer name of your server or the ip address of your server. and warn us the danger of it.

Here is a thing that happened with me. One time I was creating an ODBC using the sql server's Name, I always got an error 17, stating that I cannot connect to the database. When I used the IP address of the server, it worked...the reason was a problem in my domain controller, since it was not able to resolve the Servers' name, so I had to use the IP. But again, using IP is not preferrable except in needed cases.

Take Care.
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2006 at 4:47pm
This is what is written in the GP installation instructions PDF document:

"Use the same name for the 32-bit ODBC data source for Microsoft Dynamics GP for all clients and process servers."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 1:21am

I think this is a different story...In this case, there is no process server...

there is only sql server and client...

Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 8:59pm
What type of companies use Process Servers? Do you think companies with low transactions (fewer purchase/sales orders) will at all benefit from process servers?
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 11:59pm
Hi Great,
If you want thin client environment or you are running over a WAN with slow links then process server helps a lot. Remember that the GP processing load is weighted heavily on the client side so as soon as there is a network bottleneck or some other constraint your performance goes to the dogs.

Process servers are analagous to terminal services in that they perform (some) intensive operations in the LAN environment prevent the client requiring a large data stream. It also eliminates the wait time that clients experience when submitting large jobs - something like a batch subsystem in a mainframe environment.

Have fun
John

Have fun!
John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic