Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GP Installation Package Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GP Installation Package Question
    Posted: November 11 2006 at 8:01am

I have two questions regarding GP Installation Package :

(1) Let's say I have one server and 5 workstations. I installed the GP Server software on Server machine. Now, can I create client Installation Pakcage from SERVER machine only or I can do it from any machine also?

(2) I read in the documentation that one of the advantages of creating the Installation Package is that GP clients can be installed on the workstations without "physically" going there. But how do I do that. I created a folder on server machine and when I created the client Installation Package I put the files in that folder. I shared that folder. Now what do I do to install GP client on WORKSTATION1 without physically going there, because when I double click on the setup.exe from that shared folder it thinks that I  want to install the client on the same (server) machine?
Sponsored Links

Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 3:50am
First, you can create an installation package from any workstation just by running the first CD.

In order to install the package remotely, you have to specify the installation path during the creation of the package. Or you can access the pc you want to install on using remote desktop, and simple run the package on it....

The package is really a very nice solution, and the thing that I like most in it....( Really fast. ) and you have the chance to choose your wanted options one time...

Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:45pm
I created installation package and stored the setup files in a network shared folder. Then from a workstaion I installed the GP client by double-clicking on SETUP.EXE. After the installation I got this message:" You need to run Microsoft Dynamics GP utilities before you can run Microsoft Dynamics GP. Do you want to launch Microsoft Dynamics GP utilities now?"

I clicked on Yes to open GP utilities. I found these options:
1. Register GP
2. Remove SOP and Invoicing message
3. Update modified  forms and reports
4. Synchronize form and report dictionaries.

Since nothing was application in my scenario, so clicked EXIT. Now when I open GP I get this message:

The database setup has not been completed for Microsoft Dynamics GP. Use Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities to complete the database setup before starting Microsoft Dynamics GP.

What should I do in GP Utilities? GP is already registered. There are no customization of forms or reports because it was just installed on server.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 11:27pm
hey....Wink

There is a button next to the exit...called " Launch Dynamics "...

When GP utilities is finished, you can launch dynamics and you will enter the system...

Good luck
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
greatuser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 11:12am

It is same thing. It open the GP Login window and when I enter the username and password I get the same message: "The database setup has not been completed for Microsoft Dynamics GP..."

When you say when GP utilities is finished. What do you mean by that. There are 4 scenario which I have to run, but nothing is applicable in my case.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2006 at 12:37am

Here it is...

First of all, which version are you using?

If you have any service pack installed on the server, please note that you have to install it on the pc having the client package. It is really weird that after launching GP utilities, you are still having the same error.

Take care
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
hyou91 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyou91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 11:55pm
Hello,

I have the same message but not on the client, on the server :

The database setup has not been completed for Microsoft Dynamics GP. Use Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities to complete the database setup before starting Microsoft Dynamics GP.

After upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics GP 9 some of the company haven't complete the update. And this message appears when trying to login.

Hyou91
jwj_srp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwj_srp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 9:34am

I am trying to upgrade the server to GP 9.0 SP3 and I am getting the same error after what appears to be a successful forms and reports upgrade to the server.

When I launch the server client I get the error popup and the application stops with this message. The okay button will not work and I must use the task manager to end the 'Microsoft Dynamics GP' application.

I'll then run GP utilities again, as the popup box tells you to do, login as sa, select Update modified forms and reports, process the launch file 'dynamics.set', select the dynamics.dic file, click update, watch what looks like the successful update to the database, when the status reads 'process complete' click close, click next, I then click the 'Launch MS Dynamics GP', login as the sa user,  then attempt to login to the company, this is when I get the error. I have done this many times now with the same results.

Other appear to be having the same problem how have you gotten past this? Is it possible to upgrade the database with scripts and by pass the GP utility?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
OutreachRobW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OutreachRobW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 5:39pm
Has anyone made any progress on this... I am having the same issue with sp4, and don't seem to be having any luck.  The installation guide seems convinced GP Utilities will ask me to upgrade the server, but it simply does not.
daoudm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daoudm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 9:22am
Guys,

Are you all sure that GP utilities perform all its tasks correctly and launch GP, and you still get this message? if so then you need to reinstall GP and do more investigations on this error, monitoring GP startup behavior using SQL Profiler will be a good start.
Mohammad R. Daoud [MVP]
+962 - 79 - 999 65 85
mohdaoud@gmail.com
http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com
tgolisch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgolisch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 9:33am
I had this same problem on Vista.  Here was how I got it fixed.
1. open explorer, browse to the c:\program files\Microsoft Dynamics\ folder.  Right-click the folder, Properties, Security, Edit.  I had to Add the Everyone account and allow it Modify permissions to this folder and sub folders.
2. I had to do "run as administrator" for GP Utilitites.  It thrashed for 20 seconds (probably doing a bunch of updates, which was new).  Then I got the login screen & logged in as SA.
3. Then I clicked the button " Launch Microsoft Dynamics GP ".
...more updates...
Bingo, it actually worked this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic