Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Adding a picture to a report using Report Writer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a picture to a report using Report Writer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LA_CAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding a picture to a report using Report Writer
    Posted: November 09 2006 at 2:13pm
Ok here is what I am doing to insert a logo picture on my report. I have a gif file on my desktop. I am selecting that file and making a copy by right-clicking the file and selecting copy. Then I open the report in report writer and click on Picture Tool. Then I click on the report and then click on the NEW button. Then I enter the picture name and then I go to Edit-->Paste. Nothing happens......

I tried other way also. I again copied the picture and tried to directly paste on the report layout. Didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links

LA_CAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LA_CAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 2:24pm

Problem solved. To copy the picture on the report, we have to copy the picture not the picture file.

Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 1:29am
hey...

Good for you to figure this out...I remember having the same confusion 1 year ago...hihi Wink 

Anyhow, after it all worked for me,  I figured out that the report writer generates a very bad resolution for the picture ( logo ).  I hope you haven't experienced this...Anyhow which version are you using?.

Take care.
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
LA_CAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LA_CAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 7:10am
I am using GP 9.0
LA_CAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LA_CAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 11:12am
You are right about the picture resolution.  Did you find any alternative way to insert the picture while keeping the good resolution?
ortho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ortho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 2:47pm
BTW the file format of your picture has to be BMP

I'm not sure why, maybe because we don't put the file but the picture it self so it can't deal with compressed images.

JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 12:04am
Picture in a report are a nightmare!.  We have the worst logo with interlocking letters composed of fine parallel lines.  As soon as you resize the image, you loose resolution.
Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 3:36am
Originally posted by LA_CAL LA_CAL wrote:

You are right about the picture resolution.  Did you find any alternative way to insert the picture while keeping the good resolution?

the bmp could be a solution but still, it will not give a very good quality for the picture. I think the best is to use preprinted forms of paper. Well this was the solution I worked for. Instead of adding the logo on Great Plains report, we used letter heads.

Regards
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
LA_CAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LA_CAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 3:12pm
There is no change in picture resolution (quality) even with the BMP file.
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2006 at 11:50pm
I found that the best way to do this is to measure the actual size that you need the picture to be on your document.  Then using Corel Draw or similar, resize the image to the exact size you want on your form, and at the right resolution.  Insert this image.  This will prevent the report writer from resizing the picture - which is where the thing starts going pear-shaped.

Have fun,
John
CFEBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFEBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2006 at 8:01am
Check out these KB articles on partnersource/customersource, answers some of the questions and confusion.
Warning, as with most things in Report Writer, you ain't going to like it, but they are answers never the less.

850524 - Adding logos to dynamics reports in report writer.
854470- How to print high-quality graphics using Report Writer.

If you do a search for 'Report Writer Logo' you'll find a couple more articles but I think the two above cover the key areas.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic