Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Preparing for a 9.0 upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsonlyme4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preparing for a 9.0 upgrade
    Posted: November 07 2006 at 12:10pm

I currently have a Production 7.5 Great Plains Environment with a Backend SQL Server 2000 instance, an Application Server and about 10 Users.

Before I started at this company, they had a VAR upgrade the Test environment to GP 8.0 in anticipation of an upgrade but the Production upgrade never happened.  Now I am tasked with removing 8.0 from the test environment and restoring it to match out Production 7.5 environment so that we can plan an upgrade to 9.0

My questions are as follows:
How should I remove GP 8.0 from the test environment?   I'm thinking Add/Remove programs and then drop the databases but I'm not sure if there is anything else I have to do???

How do I go about installing 7.5 in the test environment - pulling in Custom Code?
We have Custom Code (written in Dexterity) in our AA, EFT and PA Modules that I need to pull into or recreate in TEST - problem is, I'm not sure which files contain this custom code.. I see .cnk files - but I'm not sure which ones to pull in.   I'm thinking I have to do an out-of-the-box GP 7.5 install and then restore my databases from the Production SQL Server to TEST - but I'm not sure if I should restore the Dynamics Database or ONLY Company Databases??  Then..... I was thinking that I would rename the GreatPlains Program  folder on my test box and replace it with a copy of the GreatPlains Program folder from my Production box...   Is this a good idea???    What do I have to watch out for so I don't have my test environment pointing to anything in my Production environment? 

Any suggestions would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Sponsored Links

JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 11:30pm
It is not too clear how your TEST environment is set up.  It should be on a separate machine with the same software profile as the production box....  Go ahead and trash it! (That is why you have it)  Remove GP8 as you described.  Re-install 7.5 and play.

If you go to TOOLS>Customise>Customisation maintenance, you will see all the current customisations.  Try to upgrade the test with these in place and see what gets thrown back at you.  (I suggest that you expost your existing customisations first so that you have something to re-install them from.

Dependiong on the customisation, I'm sure that something will break.  But you need to do the exercise to find out what and how to fix it.  It may end up being an iterative process, but this is all the VAR is doing anyway.

Have fun!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic