Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GP 8.0 upgrade - Forms and Reports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrD1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GP 8.0 upgrade - Forms and Reports
    Posted: October 20 2006 at 12:05pm
I am still working on my upgrade from 7.5g66 to 8.0g7

at page 54 of the "Update Intructions - Release 8.0 for Microsoft SQL Server and MSDE" pdf file avail from CUstomer Source it talks about how "To update modified forms and reports"

I seem to be always failing while following these steps...

Step 1, make backup of the forms and reports dictionary - no problem

Step 2
Open the Release 8.0 Dynamics Set file and verify that the paths are correct

... well... it mentiones to point the path to the old dictionary files... I have a folder in the test server with a copy of ALL the dictionary files from my 7.5g66 installation...

My original 8.0 Dynamics.set file had the paths like this:
(trunked for conversation sake)

:C:Program Files/Microsoft Business Solutions/Great Plains/Dynamics.dic
:C:Program Files/Microsoft Business Solutions/Great Plains/Forms.dic
:C:Program Files/Microsoft Business Solutions/Great Plains/Reports.dic
:C:Program Files/Microsoft Business Solutions/Great Plains/ADVSECUR.dic
:C:Program Files/Microsoft Business Solutions/Great Plains/ADVS_FRM.dic
:C:Program Files/Microsoft Business Solutions/Great Plains/ADVS_RPT.dic

and I changed it to
(trunked for conversation sake)

:G:latest dictionary/original backup/Dynamics.dic
:G:latest dictionary/original backup/Forms.dic
:G:latest dictionary/original backup/Reports.dic
:G:latest dictionary/original backup/ADVSECUR.dic
:G:latest dictionary/original backup/ADVS_FRM.dic
:G:latest dictionary/original backup/ADVS_RPT.dic

note: I do not have ANYWHERE the ADVS_FRM.dic or the ADVS_RPT.dic...

When I start Greatplains Utilities and I select "update modified forms and reports" task, I select the new 8.0 dynamics set file that I just modified with the paths, I select Greatplains or Advance Security, I make sure they point to the old dictionary files:

G:/latest dictionary/original backup/dynamics.dic
G:/latest dictionary/original backup/advsecur.dic

and what I get back is for all the dictionary files is:

"could not open or find file"

Did I miss-read the instructions? Is there anything wrong I am doing that I should be aware of?

Thanks!! =)

MrD
Sponsored Links

Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:35am
I faced a similar problem in updating my reports from 7.0 to 8.0. I don't if you have solved the issue or not, but a turnaround can be done which is: You can export the modified reports from 7.0 and import them in 8.0. By this you will have all your modified reports added in the report.dic of the 8.0 folder.

Regards
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 5:12am
Joseph's method is the quickest approach to your problem.  Also bear in mind that buried somewhere in the documentation is a list of reports that will not upgrade.  You will need to re-create these anyway (Watch the SOP forms).

The report write will alert you to problems that may when you import an older report.

John
Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 9:53am
Originally posted by JohndeKock JohndeKock wrote:

Joseph's method is the quickest approach to your problem.  Also bear in mind that buried somewhere in the documentation is a list of reports that will not upgrade.  You will need to re-create these anyway (Watch the SOP forms).

The report write will alert you to problems that may when you import an older report.

John

Yeah, the documentation is there...John is right, and in addition to the SOP forms, I think that the POP blank form or the POP other form will give an error...there are certain tables that have new fields added and old fields removed...

Good luck
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
rjavins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjavins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 6:48pm

If you have already upgraded to the next version and are unable to export the reports from the previous version.  You can go to Report Writer - click the import button - browse and select the previous version reports.dic file.  The modified reports that are in that reports.dic file will be in the left pane of the window.  Select each one by one and insert into the right pane and then click Import.  The reports will import into the new Reports dictionary.  You can select the reports and click the Validate button to see if there are obvious errors for the report.

There is always a list of reports that will not upgrade so in the event that one of these reports is in the list - you would just click the delete button on those reports.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic