Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Upgradation from GP 6.0 to GP 9.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sindavar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgradation from GP 6.0 to GP 9.0
    Posted: October 13 2006 at 5:48am

Hi Team

We are in the process of upgrading the present GP 6.0 to GP 9.0. Can anyone input details as to the action points before upgrading to GP 9.0.
Also, What are the major changes/improvements in GP 9.0 compared with GP 6.0?
My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
Shrikant
Sponsored Links

jayachandra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayachandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 7:17am
Hi Shrikant

We in our company do upgradations of GP prior versions to GP 9.0. We are also involved in Microsoft Dynamics GP  implementations, migrations from third party tools, integrations and customizations.

If you are intrested we can talk about how could we be useful to you.

Please leave me a mail at jayachandra_abbaraju@semanticspace.com.

Thanks,

JayaChandra 

wltenney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wltenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 10:26am

Shrikant,

Some things to be aware of:

You can't upgrade directly from 6.0 to 9.0 - you must upgrade first to 7.5.

C-tree and Pervasive databases are not supported in 9.0, so if you are currently using either you will also have to perform a DB migration.

GP 9.0 is supported only on MS SQL 2000 (sp4) or MS SQL 2005.  Server OS must be 2000 or 2003 and workstations must be 2000 or XP.

Most of our active clients have upgraded from 6.0 some time ago and it's been a while since I have used it but some of the changes are:

Major changes to the user interface.  Palletts have disappeared.  Replaced by pull-down menus, user customizable tool bar and role based desktop.  Shortrtcut bar is renamed as Navigation Pane with added functionality. 

As for series functionality, a couple of notables that come to mind:

AP Edit Check batch window provides a much improved UI for reviewing and editing check batches.
Miscellaneous checks in the bank module.
Explorer has been renamed as Smartlist with greatly expanded capability.

Hope this helps a little.

wltenney
JourneyTEAM
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2006 at 11:31am

Hi Shrikant,

MY two cents worth... If you have third party add-on's like APOP in V6.0 you can be in for a bit of fun.

Set up a test server and do the upgrade yourself.  You will very quickly see how bumpy (or not) the ride will be.

Happy Diwali
John
Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 1:05am
Hello.

The most important thing that you need to know is that you cannot go directly from Dynamics 6.0 to Dynamics 9.0.

You should first upgrade from 6.0 to 7.0. Then from 7.0 to 8.0. Then from 8.0 to 9.0.

Actually I did this upgrade at a company I worked for. There are some documentation of microsoft's customer source in which you will have a clear idea of the number of tables that have changed and a set of queries that you should run against some tables.

Not to forget that you should perform the upgrade on an offline system first, in order to test the integrity of the system. I can say that you can do the process without the help of a partner, but have one will be of great advantage.

Good luck for you.

Regards

Joseph Abou Nader
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
sindavar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sindavar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 3:12am
Hi Abou

Can you provide me the URL of the documentation of microsoft's customer source?

Thanks
Shrikant
My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
Shrikant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2006 at 4:13am
Hello Again

please find below the link to the upgrade documentation:

I hope you have a secured access to the above link.

Regards

Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
sindavar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sindavar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2006 at 12:40am

Thanks Joseph.

Is there anyway, you can help me with the additional features available in GP 9.0 as compared to GP 6.0?

Shrikant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2006 at 2:00am
Hello

If you check the post of wltenney, he has mentioned most of the changes that occurred in Dynamics 9.0.

Major changes to the user interface.  Palletts have disappeared.  Replaced by pull-down menus, user customizable tool bar and role based desktop.  Shortrtcut bar is renamed as Navigation Pane with added functionality.

Anyhow, few GP users are still working on 6.0. But...it is a great change in usability and functionality upgrading to 9.0.

Take care
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
rjavins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjavins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2006 at 7:25pm

I completed an upgrade from Great Plains version 6 on Pervasive to GP 9 on MSDE just three weeks ago. 

You can only upgrade two versions at a time.  I would recommeng GP 6.0 to GP 7.5; GP 7.5 to GP 9.0

If you are on Pervasive then it would be an additional migration.  GP 6.0 to GP7.5; GP 7.5 Pervasive to GP 7.5 MSDE; GP 7.5 to GP 9.0.

FYI - If you have APOP, the migration utility for APOP is no longer available for download from Microsoft.  There is a statement that says that you can contact Microsoft and they will do the upgrade for a charge.  (That was as of July 2006)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic