Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics RMS & Microsoft Dynamics POS > POS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VPN Connectivity Slow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brkline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VPN Connectivity Slow
    Posted: January 26 2013 at 5:59am
I am trying to support a small retail store that uses POS.  The owner currently has a business class DSL at the store and just upgraded to a residential class cable service at her home.  She had a residential class DSL before.  She upgraded to cable at home because she was getting slow speeds when working remotely.  The store DSL is connected via a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall and she was using a 2-wire DSL Modem at her home.  The database resides on the computer at the store so she had a client install done on her home computer.

With her recent upgrade to cable internet service, she asked me if it were possible to speed up the process.  I told her I wasn't sure, hence the reason for this post.  Her main issue is that when entering any transaction that has to hit the database, it is slower than at the store and at times extremely slow.  I would like to give you hard numbers but I am unable to get that information out of her.  My first thought is that because she is hitting the database at the store over a VPN connection on a residential class connection, she is not going to be able to speed things up because of the back and forth between her computer and the store computer.  However, I am no expert on how the POS system works so I am turning to the community to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions.

Please let me know if I need to provide more information and I will attempt to get it from the store owner.  I am working remotely so it is not as easy as me going to the store.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links

jrtanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrtanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2013 at 11:54am
I don't have any hard figures to give you, but I can tell you for sure that Dynamics puts a fair bit of load on an older network. I run a campus store, and while the rest of the campus has a 100mbps or higher connection to the server, my building connects via an older 10mbps switch. There is a marked difference between responsiveness at the slower level versus responsiveness when we set up a remote terminal on a faster connection. The 10mbps connection isn't a deal-breaker, but almost every hit on the database has a lag of 1-3 seconds. When I run a register elsewhere on the 100mbps connection, I sense no lag at all.

I say all that just to give you some idea of the range of bandwidth you might need in order to reduce lag. Even a fast cable connection might not be enough to eliminate it, but definitely anything slower than 10mbps will get pretty noticeable lag.

Hope that helps somewhat!
Ryaan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 4:36am
He is actually right i tired it and it worked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic