Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics SL (Solomon) > SL - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SL 2011 Workstation Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickKerns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SL 2011 Workstation Issue
    Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:05pm
I have installed my first SL 2011 package on Server 2008 with SQL 2008 R2 and I can open SL 2011 just fine.  Authentication mode has been set to Windows authentication for the databases.  However, when I install the SL 2011 client on a Windows 7 workstation and attempt to start up SL and go to the find database screen to specify the server instance, it comes back and says it is unable to connect to the server.  The windows user has been set up as part of a domain security group and that security group has been added to the SQL logins.  I can ping the SQL Server and even explore it from the network neighborhood.  If I switch authentication to SQL authentication, the find database does find the server and the various databases are shown in the database field.  I am sure that I am missing something in the SQL Server 2008 R2 security that is not allowing connection to the SQL isntance using Windows authentication.  Can anyone shed some light on what I am missing?  Remember, using the same credentials logged into the applciation server allows me to open SL 2011.
Rick at Continuex Corp.
Sponsored Links

Rohtash Kapoor View Drop Down
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Moderator
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 10:22pm
Make sure Firewall on the server is not blocking the access to SQL Server.

See the following article:

How do I open the firewall port for SQL Server on Windows Server 2008?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968872

SLPro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 1:19pm
Make sure SQL server is configured for Mixed Mode login
Solomon consultant since 1984
RickKerns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickKerns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the info.  I finally determined the problem was in the SQL Server security settings with a missing permission at the system database level.  I had the security logins defined fine and the database connection permissions set fine but had missed the pre-login permissions setting.  Appendix C of the installation instructions nicely points out what settings are required.
Rick at Continuex Corp.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic