Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics SL (Solomon) > SL - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SL 6.5 Workstation on Win7 Computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SL 6.5 Workstation on Win7 Computer
    Posted: June 06 2011 at 4:34pm
Replaced an xp workstation with Win 7 Home.  Tried to do the workstation setup from the Wkstn folder on the server and receive an error when it tried to copy files:

Incompatible Application...MBS Solomon Client cannot be setup from a unc directory

My S: drive is mapped to the server\Solshare just like the other xp workstations and I ran setup.exe from s: drive navigating down the path to the Wkstn folder.  I'm not using a unc path but the mapped s: drive.  Installing as Administrator, sql server folder is not read-only.

Is it possible to install the client workstation on Win 7 Home with the server on Server 2003 sp2?  Would it work with Win7 Pro or Ultimate?
Sponsored Links

Sol1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 4:42pm
Sorry, I think I should have posted in the Installation subfolder.
Sol1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 8:26am
Edit:  workstation in question has Win 7 Pro.
Rohtash Kapoor View Drop Down
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 11:48pm

Dynamics SL 6.5 can be installed on Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise (32-bit).

Sol1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 12:35pm
Thanks for the reply.  I thought it should work.  Can you shed any light on why they may be getting the 'Incompatible Application'  and 'cannot be setup from a UNC directory' errors when running the Solomon client workstation setup from the server? 
Sol1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 12:43pm
Just to clarify, SL 6.5 is installed on a server running server 2003.  They are trying to do the client workstation setup on a Win7 pro machine.  All 32-bit systems.
Rohtash Kapoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:09am

Try installing after turning off UAC, or right click the setup.exe and click "Run as Administrator".  If you get the message: "Incompatible Application...MBS Solomon Client cannot be setup from a unc directory" change the UNC Path on the installation wizard screen to S:\

Sol1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 2:27pm
SUCCESS!  Thank you so much.  Turning off UAC permitted the setup to run.  I don't know why this information is not in the MBS knowledge base.
micro5602 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micro5602 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 11:28am
Hi....

I had the same problem but this is just with OS basic, home or starter and with laps out of my active directory.

i tryed coping local the wrkstn directory but it didn´t work also.

So, finaly y used the Solomon installation disk 1 but i didn´t run it from the autorun. Instead i browsed the disk "CD Unit:\SolV\Wrkstn" before run the setup program, make sure you've already map the location of your solomon server. in this case "S:\Solomon Files".

During the installation, when the wizard ask you for the location files, yo just have to change it for the map you did.

It works to me, for all those OS basic, home or starter. With enterprise, bussiness and ultimate i haven't found problems with solomon workstation installation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic