Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Renaming a Database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaming a Database
    Posted: December 10 2008 at 12:09pm
We have setup a test database in GP10 and I need to rename the company ID to something different. Right now it is xxxx2 and I need it to change to xxxx9. I didn't realize that you were limited to 5 letters and numbers..

Thanks for your help

Rick

Sponsored Links

Vaidhyanathan M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaidhyanathan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 12:23pm

The best possible way is to:
1. Create a company with the name XXXX9 using GP Utilities.
2. Take the FULL backup of the XXXX2 company.
3. Restore this backup on to XXXX9 company DB.

The reason for this approach is simple: it is safe and you don't have to worry about any missing link for the old company name.

Hope that helps.
--
Thanks
Vaidy
Visit My Blog: www.vaidy-dyngp.com
rkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 12:30pm
OK.. Sounds good

So after the backup and restore can I delete that xxxx2 company and remake it as a new company?

Thanks

Rick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaidhyanathan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 12:39pm

While I did not understand when you said "remake it as a new company", the procedure to delete a company from both GP & SQL Server is as follows:

1. Delete the company records from GP using Microsoft Dynamics GP -> Tools -> Utilities -> System -> Delete Company. Now this step deletes all the DYNAMICS DB table records with respect to the company which you are deleting. This step is a MUST if you want to delete any company.

2. The first step does not delete the SQL Company DB as such. This you have to do it from SQL Server directly.

Now you have deleted a company without any trace.
--
Thanks
Vaidy
rkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 9:54am
When I say "remake" I want to reuse the xxxx2 ID for another company. We have a company setup now with that ID with test data and I need to move it from xxxx2 to xxxx9 so I can add all 4 of our live companies in a row.. xxxx1,xxxx2,xxxx3,xxxx4

Make sense now?

Thanks for the help

Rick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaidhyanathan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 9:59am
Yup, pretty much made sense.

If you delete the company like how I had suggested, you are assured you can reuse the company names. All we are making sure is that we don't keep any trace of the old company name anywhere in the system, be it GP or SQL Server.
--
Thanks
Vaidy
rkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:17am
Gotch ya..

Thanks

Now If I could only get that FRx error fixed I'd be sitting pretty  :>)

Rick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaidhyanathan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:29am

Well, I did go thru' that post, but I am not well versed in FRx. If that's me, I would have first searched the Microsoft FRx KB, for trivial errors.
--
Thanks
Vaidy
rkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2008 at 10:40am
I have looked thru them and found nothing...

Rick

rkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 10:02am
The restore didn't work.. it says that the xxxx2 backup is not the correct file for xxxx9.

Any other ideas?

Rick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vaidhyanathan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 10:12am

Rick,

I am not sure about the exact error message that you got and the steps as well. This is a standard procedure that we follow to create a test company for R&D and Development Testing.

Can you please detail the error that you get?
--
Thanks
Vaidy
rkendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 11:16am
Ok..

I made a backup of xxxx2 and have not deleted it yet to be careful. So I made a new company xxxx9 and when I go to restore and pick xxxx9 as the database and xxxx2.bak as the restore file I get this error.

The backup file you selected refers a database other than the one you are trying to restore.

Rick

manirajad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manirajad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 1:11am

The database backup file will keep the database name.

your new company Id is your database name right, GP will check the backup file database name with your selected company database name while restore, since there is a mismatch GP will not allow you to restore this because for GP its an invalid file.

so here the option is restore the database using SQL Server, with Overwrite existing database option, here you can change the Restore as file name.

Regards,
Maniraja
dschutz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dschutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2009 at 1:32pm

When you did the restore in SQl did you select the option to overwrite the existing database? 

NeilG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 7:36am
When you are retsoring the database onto the new database ensure that you have clicked the "overwrite current database" option, otherwise it will keep checking if the backup is originally from the database your trying to restore to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic