Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can not login to GP utilities (GP 10.0)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can not login to GP utilities (GP 10.0)
    Posted: July 16 2008 at 7:53am
Hi All .
i am new to this forum.
I have installed Microsoft dynamics GP 10 in a domain environment . I have GP installed on one server and SQL 2005 on the other server. after installing GP 10 with domain admin previliges when i try to log in to the GP utilities with the same password i get a warning that " login failed . Attempt to login again or contact your system administrator". I have also tried to login using the local admin password for the server. I uninstalled the GP 10 and installed again . but the problem persists.
I had previously installed GP 10  trial version on a virtual invironment and there was no problem.
where could I have gone wrong.
no error messages in the event viewer.
no error while installing GP both times.

help please!!
Sponsored Links

Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 1:24am
Hello Again. Forgot to tell you that my operating systems are all on VMWare environment. If that has to do anything at all with it?
daoudm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daoudm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 6:38am
Run ODBCAD32 and create new ODBC Connection with the same username and password you are using, if it didn't work and generate the same problem then you have a problem with this user password.
Mohammad R. Daoud [MVP]
+962 - 79 - 999 65 85
mohdaoud@gmail.com
http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com
Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 9:41am
Thanks mr Daoud for pointing me in the right direction.
I configured my odbc connection. it was using the SQL server authentication. I changed it to integrated windows authentication and all went smoothly.

regards

Harvir
daoudm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daoudm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 10:42am

You are so much welcome any time Smile

Mohammad R. Daoud [MVP]
+962 - 79 - 999 65 85
mohdaoud@gmail.com
http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com
microsoftslave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote microsoftslave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 1:43pm
Hi,

With Microsoft Dynamics GP can you use Active Directory Authentication?

I have ALWAYS used SQL Authentication - GP creates SQL Accounts when users are created in GP and assigns them to the DYNGRP role

Since GP uses this to connect; and indeed if you use the Application install to create the DSN SQL Authentication is used how can you use AD?

SL, CRM and AX use AD but this is part of the setup and user creation in those applications - GP doesn't have anything to tie an AD account to the user in GP?

Let me know if I simply read the above issue and fix wrongly

Cheers

Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2008 at 9:45am
you are absolutly right microsoftslave that GP uses sql Server authentication. I was able to install the sample company and create the DYNSA user and Lesson1user and Lesson2user but after that to log into the sample company was not allowed. I had to change the authentication back to Sql server authentication and reset password and permissions for DYNSA user. because this is my first install of full version of GP ( i previously installes the trial version which uses Express edition of SQL and a person has to do nothing in context of sa login) I did not wanted to end up in too much of troubleshooting later on . So I reinstalled the GP 10 ; this time with sql server authentication mode . and all was a success till now (fingers crossed) or I believe there is always a help from experts like you.
thanks.
dirish74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirish74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2008 at 10:48am
Check out Fastpath's Config AD application.  It allows management of GP users from AD and provides SSO for end users.  

Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 6:30am
Hi it is me again who started the thread. I installed the GP10 on one windows server 2003 standard edition and the sql server 2005 is installed on the other server . These servers and the DC are on a VMWare environment.
I installed the GP 10  and then using the gp utilities I installed the company say "ABC".
fine till this point . then I can login into the company "ABC" using  the DYNSA Password but I cant login using "sa" credentials.
I can login into GP utilities with sa but not into the actual companies. no problem with DYNSA login . where could I have gone wrong . and where can I look for troubleshooting.

To note when I installed the company "ABC" using GP utilities I used the sa Password which is the sa password of my sql server 2005.(sql installed in mixed mode)

I also have another question that when installing GP ;when it asks for the SQL server do we have to use \\ or \ or nothing.
I just used the server name .(tried with the wrong server name it complained .then used the correct server name. no complaines from application) meaning that it saw the server.
dynamics database is installed and so is the database for the company "ABC".

can you please help me!!!!!!!!!!!

dirish74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirish74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 7:08am

Havir

Are you getting any sort of error message when the 'sa' login fails?

Can you login as another user besides DYNSA?

microsoftslave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote microsoftslave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 7:15am
Try changing your 'sa' password via Studio Mgr to something that meets the complexity requirements of GP10 or your domain.

Password1 normally meets the requirements believe it or not.

Cheers

Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 8:01am
Thanks Microsoftslave for pointing me in the right direction . I found out that the GP utilities can take long passwords but the GP  to login to any company takes only 15 characters. unfortunatly my sa password is slightly longer than that so it was not entered fully .meaning wrong password.

my DYNSA password is not that long so no errors

Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 8:01am
Thanks Microsoftslave for pointing me in the right direction . I found out that the GP utilities can take long passwords but the GP  to login to any company takes only 15 characters. unfortunatly my sa password is slightly longer than that so it was not entered fully .meaning wrong password.

my DYNSA password is not that long so no errors
Harvir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2008 at 8:15am

Just in continuation. I changed the sa password to 15 characters and I can log in I change it back to  16 character then I cant Log in. last charecter is not entered.

I did the same thing In my other GP 10 environment and sa cannot login with 16  character Password but can login with 15 character Password.

I believe that the GP 10 developers believed that 15 character Password is more then enough secure .
ha ha ha ha

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic