Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Printing pdf file

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drose85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Printing pdf file
    Posted: February 27 2008 at 10:54am
We have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 installed and also use GP 9.0.  When trying to print a pdf file from GP an error message appears: Unable to start printing.  Is there a path that needs to be set somewhere within GP to allow PDF's to print?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

basselzarwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basselzarwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 4:49am
Hi Drose85
are you trying to print directly to the Adobe PDF printer , or you are saving the report as pdf ?
drose85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drose85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2008 at 4:19pm
We are just trying to save the report as a pdf file.  It appears that Adobe is installed correctly as it will create pdf files with other applications as well.

Thanks
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 12:05am
Hi guys,

there are a number of things to check.
1.  I assume that you are using the full-suite Adobe Acrobat writer (Adobe Elements does not work).
2.  With the Adobe writer installed, are you able to print to screen, then use the 'send to mail recipient as PDF attachment option?
3.  Check both the printing defaults on the Adobe writer, and the printer settings in Dynamics GP.  You want the printer driver to prompt for an output file name.  I suspect that this is your problem - the Adobe printer device is trying to write to a pdf file that already exists.
Have fun!
John
Mags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 6:03pm
Hi,
We too are experiencing this error.  When trying to print to directly to pdf (either using the send to function or the email statements) we get an 'unable to start printing error'.

-We do have the full Adobe Acrobat 9.0 installed.
-We cannot use the 'send to mail recipient as PDF' attachment option (its not greyed out, but we get the print error).  We can, however, get the 'send to mail recipient as text' to work so its not seeming to be an outlook error.
-Both the print defaults on the Adobe Writer and GP are set to prompt for an output file name.

Interestingly enough, we have had the functionality (after much work) as recently as two days ago.
We were elated, but when I tried to access the functionality the next day the system had reverted to non functionality for this feature.

I have been reassured that no updates were performed on the server overnight and that there are no processes running at night that may be working to restore defaults, but remain stumped on getting the system to work again.

Help is appreciated.

Joe Banks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Banks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2009 at 8:46am
I am also having the issue. GP 10, Adobe 8. The first error is an adobe error, says "When you create a PostScript file you must rely on system fonts and use document fonts. Please go to the printer properties,  "Adobe PDF Settings" page and turn OFF the option "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts."

Click ok on that a generic error pops up saying "unable to start printing"

Click ok on that, the third error is a Microsoft Dynamics GP error saying Cannot open printer, check printer selection"

I have turned off the "Rely on system fonts." Right click Adobe PDF and select Printing Preferences. It's also accessible from the Advanced tab printing defaults. I've made sure they're both set the same (just in case...), rebooted, nothing.

Application log is clean.

Any help is much appreciated.

Joe
Max101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 4:29pm

After fixing the Adobe PDF setting in both places ("Printing Preferences" and "Printing Defaults"), if you still get the error, then please test following senario:

Set the default printer inside GP (File >> Print Setup) to the "Adobe PDF". Then reopen the report and try using the option "Send To" -> "Mail Receipient (PDF)". It is strange but I did not get error when I setup default printer in GP to "Adobe PDF", but if I set default printer to something else and try "Send To", I get that error. You may have to use this workaround for now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic