Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple companies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple companies
    Posted: February 26 2008 at 1:46pm
Hi,

I have a requirement to implement dynamics GP which will support around 500 companies. I did some analysis and figured out that MS GP creates a DB internally everytime we creat a company. Is it possible to design it such that it can be accommodated within one database.

Let me know if you have implemented/designed something like this.

Thanks,
Debashis
MCSD.Net,MCAD.Net
Sponsored Links

JonEast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonEast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 4:44am
Unfortunately not, the underlying code expects the databases in this format.  I have several clients with a similar number of databases and they operate without any issues.

Jon.
dpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 7:14am

Thanks Jon. I am wondering how did you initially create all these. Is it using GP utilities ? Also we have plans for a citrix deployment for the application which will be accessed by around 500 offices all over the country .

Any suggestions/thoughts/best practices will be helpful.

Thanks,

Debashis
MCSD.Net,MCAD.Net

JonEast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonEast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 2:03pm
We used GP utilities to create them, an extermely tedious and time consuming task but the simplest way to create them correctly.
I recommend citrix when the user count gets above 15 as it much simpler to manage the client software.
Do all 500 offices need access to all 500 companies or is it more of a one-to-one relationship?  If it is more of a one-to-one then we tend to have several server installs of GP (with maybe 50-100 companies on each), whilst this increases the SQL licences required it allows you to create smaller groups of companies which are easier to manage (for example when upgrading to the next version of GP you can upgrade on group at a time rather than taking the whole system off-line).

Jon.
dpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2008 at 3:32pm

Jon,

Thanks again for sharing the experience. The statistics on the volume of transactions for each company really makes me feel it's an overkill to have separate databases for each company in my case. Is it possible to implement security at chart of account level and user level to access company level data based on account level info ?

The management of data at account level seems tricky after my initial analysis on this tool but it's something which I am looking as a Plan - B to creating new databases everytime I need to create a new company.

Any thoughts will really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Debashis
MCSD.Net, MCAD.Net
Papa Perry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2008 at 2:56pm
Debashis,

We have up to 300 databases in 1 SQL Server for a few clients.  It is very time consuming to create the companies as well as to upgrade them.  Early on it would take us 10 days to upgrade 120 databases.  I have gotten that down to 4 days for 220 db's.

I am a system guy, but have been doing this quite a while.  Could you set them up in your chart of accounts?  This has been suggested by many of our Application Consultants.

Papa Perry Smith
GPITConsultant@gmail.com

Installing and upgrading Dynamics GP since 1995
dpatel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpatel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 7:56am
Firgured out that you can actually set up multi company environment using single database using an add on from Binary Stream -

Thanks,
Debashis
MCAD.Net, MCSD.Net
Papa Perry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 11:57pm
We have been looking at that for a few clients who are getting ready to roll out GP to many of their subsidaries.
Papa Perry Smith
GPITConsultant@gmail.com

Installing and upgrading Dynamics GP since 1995
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic