Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help! Need to do a temporary restore of old backup
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Need to do a temporary restore of old backup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronetiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Need to do a temporary restore of old backup
    Posted: September 17 2007 at 7:26am
Hi all,

I'm an IT guy, but a complete noob with GP. I have a client who uses the package and needs to temporarily restore an older backup of their db (~2005) for a few weeks in order to do some forensic accounting.

They want to set up a sandbox where one of their staff can work with the old db without affecting the ongoing business. Right now, everyone works from the main db on their server.

Assuming that GP is already installed on a standalone workstation, and the db is available on a backup DVD, and the version of GP has not changed since the backup was made, is this a fairly simple matter to set up? Should I call in an expert, or is this something that you think I can do myself?

Thanks,

Stephen
Sponsored Links

Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 8:04am
You need to create a test server on a stand alone machine as follows:

1- Install SQL server
2- Install GP Server
3- Restore the back up of the original database
4- Access the company using "sa" & do the needed job.

Good Luck
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 1:36pm
Hi Joseph,

Or you can create a new company on your exsting server, then restore the old database into the new company...
Have fun!
John
Pronetiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronetiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 1:58pm
Thanks, guys, either approach sounds good, but Joseph's sounds a bit quicker to implement.

Is there somewhere I can read up on the procedure to create a new company? Do I create the company at the server, or can I do it from one of the client machines?

Stephen
Pronetiq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pronetiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 2:59pm
Damn, sorry: John's sounds quicker.
Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2007 at 11:53pm

No problem in either ways...& of course John's sounds quicker, but the approach I am proposing will give you freedom of change & independancy from the live data (hardware & software).

To create a new company, you need to go to GP utilities with "sa" as username, choose the option create a new company & click process.

Good Luck

Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic