Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GP in wireless LAN environment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GP in wireless LAN environment
    Posted: July 31 2007 at 4:12pm
Does anyone know GP is supported in wireless LAN environment?
Sponsored Links

JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:19pm
Hi Greatuser,

If you read the minimum requirements in the install manual, the minimum network config is 100 BaseT. Wireless is nowhere near that.

Remember that GP is a client/server applications, and that all the data you requre for most processes is shunted to the client over the network. I have used a wireless network and it is okay on simple transactions, but please note the following:
Certain types of transactions (Y/E, M/E and maintanance) are horrendously slow when done over a wireless link.
The problem with most wireless is that the wireless device is connected to the network with a 100BaseT connection. When you have a number of users on a wireless LAN, the network performance is poor.

I wouls suggest that if you are intending to use a wireless LAN, you should seriously look at a Terminal Server to run GP on. Make sure your terminal server and SQL server have 1000BaseT connections. This way you can avoid the network becoming a bottleneck.

Wireless is great for mobile and ad-hoc users, but I will always cable my main workstations into the network.
Have fun!
John
aclair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 5:57am
Our GP VAR told us not to use wireless with GP (9.0) due to it's need of a "stateful" connection.   However, we use Terminal Service clients with GP over wireless and have had no problems because the actual client runs on the server with bitmaps being sent back and forth.  I spoke with Microsoft about this who unofficially confirmed that using wireless WITH TS clients should be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic