Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Smart List Builder Installation Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smart List Builder Installation Problem
    Posted: April 18 2007 at 5:40am
Dear Friends

When i am installing Smart List Builder, after completing installaion Great Plains returns error. It is a window, which usually appears in windows Xp problem, which asks report it or not. After this GP asks user name and password when it comes on next window and prompt for Compay, after clicking ok button it displays message that "Un update is not completed run GP utility". What could be problem?

Regards
Sponsored Links

Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:33pm
You should install smart list builder on the server, before installing it on the client. In case you have SP2 installed on GP 9, you will have to run dynamics utilities on the server in order to update the system database.
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
zubairkhan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 1:39am
Thank you Joseph

You are doing well in this forum, keep it up. Ok it works fine now, would u please guide, how to add new smart list? and how i can group my data?, because i got calculation field but i could not found any grouping window.

Regards:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 10:41am
Originally posted by zubairkhan zubairkhan wrote:

Thank you Joseph

You are doing well in this forum, keep it up. Ok it works fine now, would u please guide, how to add new smart list? and how i can group my data?, because i got calculation field but i could not found any grouping window.

Regards:

Thank you...Zubairkhan

You should go to Tools>>SmartList>>Smartlist Builder

Enter a new ID, Name, and Item Name

Add a table using Microsoft Dynamics GP Table

Choose the Product , series and table...

You can use one table or link several table using their primary keys.

You can check the several options in the smart list builder to add sum fields, summary fields, etc...

Then when you are finished, save your selection and run smart list. You will receive a notification, confirm it.

Finally go to smartlist security and give access to the user who should see the new smart list.

Good Luck
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 10:11pm
Thank you Joseph

I moved forward and i added new smartlist. But what i want to do is, grouping report like crystal report. suppose

Customer
ABC
InvNo   Date          Amount
 0001   01/01/01    25000.00
0002    01/01/01    30000.00
0003    01/01/01    10000.00
                              ------------
Group Total            65000.00
Customer
XYZ
InvNo   Date          Amount
9999    01/01/01   5000.00
9998    01/01/01   7000.00
9997    01/01/01   6000.00
                             ----------- 
Group Total          18000.00

Grand Total          83000.00

This kind of report can help to managers and director for future planning, when i grouping what SL BLdr do, it counts documents data and sum up amount in a single row for each customer, i need both sum and detail for each customer, like this report we need many reports in other modules like inventory, purchase and sales. If any solution kindly reply me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 11:30pm
I think you are asking a lot from smart list builder... I am afraid that this kind of grouping would not be possible. But after all, you can export your report to excel and group your data the way you want.
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 11:54pm
Joseph you beleive me! when i viewed SAP B1 demo i ammazed how easy to creat new reports and grouping and lots more, without any license fee. If smart list can not do this and lots other, for whom microsoft asking money for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 1:37am

Joseph you beleive me! when i viewed SAP B1 demo i ammazed how easy to creat new reports and grouping and lots more, without any license fee. If smart list can not do this and lots other, for whom microsoft asking money for it.

Personally,  I think that smart list is an excellent tool to get data from GP, since it gives you the option to add columns in a high level way, do smart searches, and export directly to excel. What else could some one ask for Embarrassed .

Moreover, if you need advanced reports, you can always use crystal report which links directly to your DBs and you can make the groups you want.

Don't say that I am being too optimistic, but this is the truth...Wink
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 3:35am
Working with crystal reports and GP is easy??????????.  First we must know tables physical name and column names which is too difficult to understand, and joining the table is also a difficult task. First we should know links of data in different tables. Second add reports in GP is an other difficult job. Doing this user should have sound knowledge of SQL server Crystal Report and Dexterity.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 4:03am

Working with crystal reports and GP is easy??????????.  First we must know tables physical name and column names which is too difficult to understand, and joining the table is also a difficult task. First we should know links of data in different tables. Second add reports in GP is an other difficult job. Doing this user should have sound knowledge of SQL server Crystal Report and Dexterity.

Working on crystal requires that you go to:Tools>>Resource Description>>Tables.

From there, you will know the tables of GP having the technical and physical name. You are not obliged to know dexterity at all, in order to link crystal to GP tables. From my experience, I can tell you that the best way to retrieve reports from GP is through crystal, and in addition if you are using XI, it will directly point the keys for you, linking the tables automatically as they are created in GP database.

It will require some time until you are familiar with the process, but be sure that you will master it in no time compared to the results you will get.

Good Luck
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairkhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 4:17am
Any how some one manged it as you mention. But if some one need to pass parameters to reports, how he can do it?. Needs to create form and add in GP. If we start write down steps to create a little bit complex report for GP, it could be..

1- Get knowledge about GP tables and Fields
2- Create report in crystal report
3- Creat Form for parameters
4- Add form in GP.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 4:20am

Any how some one manged it as you mention. But if some one need to pass parameters to reports, how he can do it?. Needs to create form and add in GP. If we start write down steps to create a little bit complex report for GP, it could be..

1- Get knowledge about GP tables and Fields
2- Create report in crystal report
3- Creat Form for parameters
4- Add form in GP.

Parameters can be added directly on crystal without the need to develop them...and when your report is finished, you can simply add it as a shortcut to GP. Or you can download a third party application called Cview in which you can run crystal reports with the option of hiding the design mode. Wink
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic